The UK government’s Together for Our Planet campaign has teamed up with BT, NatWest and SSE to launch the Heroes of Net Zero competition to find the UK’s best small businesses taking innovative steps to cut greenhouse gas emissions.
The best entries will be invited to attend the COP26 international climate change summit in Glasgow on November 2, where the winners will be announced and receive an exclusive prize package worth £4,500:
- 21 hours consultancy with an Energy Manager and one-year free access to ‘Business Energy Intelligence’ energy management platform, worth £3,500, from SSE;
- Six hours of bespoke mentoring with a NatWest Enterprise Manager from its Climate Accelerator programme, helping winning businesses gain climate friendly skills in accessing new markets to attracting talent, and;
- Up to £1,000 in vouchers to access a brand-new digital advertising support package from BT to grow your business
To take part in the Heroes of Net Zero competition, entrants must say in 200 words the exciting measures they have taken on the journey to net-zero. Reaching net-zero means the amount of greenhouse gases your business produces is no more than the amount taken away, eliminating all negative impact on the planet. Submissions can be made via an online form at the competition website.
The competition is open for entries from Thursday 9 September until October 6, with judging happening during the week of October 11.
The competition is open to businesses across the United Kingdom with fewer than 50 employees, the competition will be split into two categories:
- Micro businesses – 1-9 employees
- Small businesses – 10-50 employees
In order to enter the competition, businesses must first make a commitment at the UK Business Climate Hub to achieve net zero by 2050, in line with the Government’s own climate commitment.
The shortlist and winners in each category will be selected by judges Andrew Griffith MP, the UK’s Business Net Zero Champion, James Close from NatWest Group, Gabrielle Giner from BT, and Marta Smart from SSE.